Sew: Crochet Hook Roll

Sew: Crochet Hook Roll

Today I will be showing you how to make your own crochet hook roll or organiser or case (whatever you want to call it). I made one of these for my friend as a Christmas present. I got a bit carried away with the sewing so I forgot to blog it. However, this gave me an excuse to make one for myself and blog it for you to read.

You could definitely customise this project to hold something different, i.e. knitting needles, marker pens, crayons. It's a really quick project!


What you'll need
Fabric
For this tutorial I used some of the fabric left over from my DIY: Easter Basket tutorial. Go check it out!
Interfacing


I used a medium weight iron-on interfacing.
Button with shank
Ribbon
Thin ribbon.
Binding (optional)


Cutting your pieces

1) Cut two piece of fabric with dimensions 20cm x 30cm (or 8"x12"). Cut one out of your liner fabric and one out of your outer fabric.

2) Cut one piece of fabric with dimensions 22.5cm x 30cm (9"x12"). This will be your pocket.

3) Cut two piece of interfacing with dimensions 20cm x 30cm (or 8"x12"). 

4) Cut a piece of binding 30cm (or 12") long. (Optional)

Making your Crochet Hook Roll

Fold your pocket piece in half, right sides together, 


Now stitch the long open end shut.


Turn your pocket right sides out and press.

Next step is to iron interfacing onto the back of your outer fabric and liner fabric.


I then decided to sew binding onto the top of my pocket to give it some detail.



Now its time to start assembly!

Place your liner fabric right side up, then place your pocket right side up onto of it. Baste the pocket into place. I did this with a smaller seam allowance than I usually use.
Tip: Baste means to sew a line of stitching with a long stitch length.


Also baste a 4" loop of ribbon at the centre of your left side.


Next place the outer fabric, face down on top of the pieces you have.


Sew around your project leaving a 3-5" gap for turning. Make sure you back stitch at the beginning and end so that it won't unravel when you turn your work right side out.


Now, snip the corners off, but don't cut through your stitching! Trip down the excess fabric in the seam allowance (not at the gap).

Now turn your project right side out and press.

Press the raw edges of the gap under.

Now we are going to topstitch around our project, this will close the gap and will also help our roll lie nice and flat.

Next it's time to sew the pockets. You will be stitching on top of your pocket from bottom to top. The width of each pocket depends on what you are putting in them. Make sure you plan this carefully. I knew I wanted 22 pockets for my 22 crochet hooks which meant I would be sewing 21 lines. You will need to backstitch at the beginning and end of each line. You want to make sure the pockets are wide enough for your hook to fit in but tight enough so they won't slip out.

Tip: Your top thread and bobbin thread don't have to match. I used a green top thread and white bobbin to sew my pockets so it matched my pocket fabric and outer fabric.

The last step is to roll your project up, and sew a button (with a shank) into place, so that the ribbon can loop around it.


And that's it! You're finished.






Once again this is a project that you could completely customise. You could change the closure to be Velcro or poppers. You could do a patchwork style outer fabric. You could make it longer to fit your knitting needles. The possibilities are endless! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, remember to pin this tutorial on Pinterest so you can find it when you need it.

Goodbye For Now! 



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top