Gathered Skirt

Easy Floral Gathered Skirt


After my first trip to Abakhan I was desperate to start sewing straight away. I bought a floral fabric which I knew would make a lovely skirt! I've also made a Cute and Easy Sewing Machine Cover out of the same material! I had a rough idea how to make a gathered skirt so I decided to "wing it", I loved the outcome so thought I would share because it really is SO simple! 


Measurements:

  • Around the waist (If this is where the top of the skirt will be)
  • Length of skirt (e.g. from waist to above the knee)

What you'll need:
  1. Fabric (I used roughly 44" x 20")
  2. 1" Wide Elastic (Long enough to go around waist unstretched.)
  3. Matching Thread
  4. Safety Pin

Cutting your Fabric

The width of your fabric needs to be at least 1.5 times your waist measurement. My waist measured 30" so I needed 45" width (30"x1.5). The wider your fabric the more full and gathered your skirt will be i.e. if you used 2 times your waist measurement it would be more gathered and fuller than if you used 1.5 times your waist measurement.

The length of your fabric depends on how long you want your skirt. I wanted my skirt to be about 17.5" long. So I added 2.5" to my length to compensate for my elastic casing and to hem my skirt. So the total length of the fabric I cut was 20" (17.5"+2.5").

Making your Skirt

First step is to fold your skirt in half with right sides of the fabric facing each other. Pin and sew the open end (opposite the fold) so that you create a tube with your fabric.


Creating your Elastic Casing


Turn over 1/4" at the top of your skirt and press. 

Then, fold it over again by 1 1/4" and press. 

Sew along the bottom of the fold but leave a gap of 2" so that you can insert your elastic into the casing. 

Feed your elastic through the casing. This is where the safety pin is handy, attach it to the end of your elastic to make feeding it through much easier. Avoid twisting your elastic! 


Pull the two ends of your elastic so that they overlap and sew a zig zag stitch to secure (a straight stitch would break when stretched!).


Sew your 2 inch gap closed (lilac stitches). Be careful not to catch your elastic in these stitches.



Distribute all your gathers around the skirt evenly.

The final step is to turn under the bottom of your skirt by 1/2" and press. Repeat this step by turning another 1/2" under (so that the raw edges of the fabric are hidden) and sew along the top of the fold. 


How I Style My Skirt


I can't emphasise enough how much I have worn this skirt since making it. It has become a staple piece in my wardrobe. I tend to wear it with tights and boots (Ankle or knee high) because it is so cold, but can't wait to wear it bare legged with converse in Summer! I paired the skirt with a dark green knit jumper, black tights and a navy and brown rucksack. Let me know how YOU would style it!

Easy Floral Gathered Skirt



Goodbye for now!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top